Maui Updates & Changes
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 8th edition of Maui Revealed. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book. There are no longer any updates to previous editions on this site.
- Barnes & Noble (page 43) has temporarily moved to Maui Marketplace while searching for a permanent location. Their new address is 270 Dairy Rd., Kahului and their new phone number is 808-214-6807.
- Seven Sacred Pools—‘Ohe‘o Gulch (page 104, 108 & 109) had a rockslide on Jan. 3, 2017 that forced the closure of the Pools of ʻOheʻo in Haleakala National Park until further notice.
- Kalaupapa Guided Mule Tours (page 256) are in a state of flux. Contact both the state and Damien Tours (808-567-6171) if you wish to visit Kalaupapa Peninsula. Here’s the official word from the state:“Those who wish to access the trail are required by State of Hawaii law to contact the State for approval and a written permit. Per State law, violators are subject to a citation and $500 fine, and those who are granted permission are not allowed to bring anyone 16 years of age or younger. Recommended phone numbers to call at the Hawaii State Department of Health are 808-567-6924 or 808-567-6928.”
- Warren and Annabelle’s (page 307) will be closed November 23rd to December 16th, with shows resuming the 17th.
- ‘Ulalena (page 308) is temporarily closed because the Maui Theatre is closed while it searches for a new owner.
General Information & Updates:
- (Ok, this isn’t really an update but we thought we’d put it in here to help avoid confusion). We’ve gotten a few e-mails asking us why the time-saving road linking Wailea with Kula upcountry isn’t on our maps (though it is on other maps). At the risk of sounding self-serving, the other maps are slightly… not right…Ok they’re wrong! As mentioned on page 142, that road is private, gated and not accessible. We won’t print it if we haven’t driven it. Same for the Oprah Highway…
- Cycle City Maui (page 23) has had an ownership change. The Kahului location is now called Maui Motorcycle Co. and their new phone number is 808-877-7433. The Lahaina location is keeping the old phone number but is now called Lahaina Harley-Davidson.
- Baby’s Away (page 36) has changed their phone number to 800-942-9030.
- Kahului Shopping Center Farmers Market (page 43) is no longer operating.
- Simply Sweets Bakery (page 66) is closed.
- Kapalua Beach (page 158) additional parking next to the tennis courts now costs $10.
- Royal Pacific Air (pages 178 & 180) phone number is 808-824-4369.
- Cruiser Phil’s (page 185) has changed their phone number to 808-575-9575.
- Haleakala Bike Company (page 186) has changed their name to Bike Maui.
- Maui Downhill (page 185) has closed.
- Crater Cycles (page 187) has also closed.
- Aqua Adventures (page 190) phone number changed to 808-472-2782.
- Gemini (page 190) phone number changed to 808-669-1700.
- Redline Rafting (page 190) phone number changed to 808-201-7450.
- Sail Maui (page 190) phone number changed to 808-427-3281.
- Hawaiian Ocean Project (pages 190, 191 & 198) no longer offers trips to Molokini from West Maui. There are no longer any boats leaving from West Maui to Molokini.
- Mauiboating.com (page 257) is now Aloha Outdoors with new contact info: 808-444-4044. Their website is: alohaoutdoors.com.
- Maui Ocean Center (page 263) new phone number is 808-270-7000.
- Burn’n Love (page 308) is closed.
From the Island Dining chapter, the following changes:
- Maui Nui Lu‘au new phone is is: 877-846-5554.
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have closed:
- 808 Bistro (a fond aloha to you guys)
- 808 Grindz Café (Kihei)
- Maui Swiss Café
- Maui Tacos (Lahaina location)
- Simply Sweets Bakery (also on page 66)
- Taqueria Cruz
From the Where to Stay chapter:
- The Westin Maui Resort & Spa’s self-parking area is undergoing construction through December 2018. Meanwhile, parking is valet only for $30 per day.