Maui Updates & Changes
Updates to 9th Edition
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 9th edition of Maui Revealed. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book.
COVID-19 Related Updates
We are trying our best, but it is impossible for us to list all the closures here.
There is now a mandatory 14 day self-isolation for anyone entering Hawaii.
Everyone stay safe.
- Visitors and returning residents are required to self-isolate (stay in hotel room or at home only) for 14 days upon arrival until further notice.
- The Road to Hana (Hwy 360) is closed to all but local traffic past Hana until further notice.
- Temporary Closure of Kalaupapa (pages 152, 262 & 263) Due to concerns about the health and safety of the residents and employees at Kalaupapa, tours to the peninsula are canceled until further notice—only essential supplies are being flown in. We will post any updates once they become available.
- Haleakala National Park Backcountry Trails Temporarily Closed Concerns about staffing and access to emergency services have resulted in the National Park closing all backcountry and wilderness trails for the time being. We will post any updates here and our website at they become available.
- Haleakala National Park Closed at Sunrise (pages 41, 44, 120 & 125) The National Park has temporarily closed the park and canceled reservations for sunrise. You can enter after 7 a.m. but will find the visitor centers and backcountry trails closed. Check the park website for a full list of announcements.
- (After above mention reopens) Kalaupapa Guided Mule Tours (page 262) a landslide in December 2018 took out one of the bridges along the cliffside trail to Kalaupapa. Repairs will likely take months to complete. Until the bridge is repaired, no one will be able to access Kalaupapa by land. You can still visit the settlement by securing a permit through Damien Tours (808-567-6171) and booking a flight through to the Kalaupapa peninsula through Mokulele Airlines (866-260-7070).
- Maui Tropical Plantation (pages 73 & 235) is closed indefinitely due to COVID. No plans yet on a reopening. This also closed the Mill House restaurant (Island Dining) on the same property.
- Surf Break Shave Ice (Island Dining) is closed while they search for a new location.
General Information & Updates:
- (Ok, this isn’t really an update but we thought we’d put it in here to help avoid confusion). We’ve gotten a few e-mails asking us why the time-saving road linking Wailea with Kula upcountry isn’t on our maps (though it is on other maps). At the risk of sounding self-serving, the other maps are slightly… not right…Ok they’re wrong! That road is private, gated and not accessible. We won’t print it if we haven’t driven it. Same for the Oprah Highway…
- A Paradise Dream Wedding (page 26) phone number should be 808-298-7448.
- Baby’s Away (page 37) phone number should be 208-250-2733.
- Greeters of Hawai‘i (page 46) no longer does airport lei greetings.
- Heart-shaped Rock (page 62) it is with a broken heart that we have to report a broken heart out at Nakalele blowhole. The heart-shaped rock is now no more.
- Sunrise from Haleakala (page 125) reservations open at 7am two days in advance not 4pm as listed.
- Haleakala National Park (page 126) entrance fee is now $30 in 2020.
- Haleakala National Park Upper Visitor Center (page 129) closes at 6 p.m. now, not noon. Restrooms and parking stay open after that.
- Kalaupapa Day Tours (page 151 & 263) is closed. Try Father Damien Tours instead.
- Big Beach/Oneloa/Makena (page 173) now has a parking fee of $5 per vehicle.
- Maui Off-road Adventures (page 185) no longer offers tours of Kaupo as a group. But may offer them as private tours.
- CampMaui.net (page 209) is closed.
- Pi‘iholo Ranch (page 230) no longer offers horseback riding.
- Maui Surfer Girls (page 250) phone number should be 808-670-3886.
- Action Sports (page 254) phone number should be 808-283-7913.
Island Dining Closures:
- Beach Bums BBQ (Napili location)
- Maui Tacos (Kihei—Piilani Village location)
- Ohana Tacos
- Relish Oceanside
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House
From the Where to Stay chapter:
Nalu Kai Lodge is closed.