Big Island Updates & Changes
Updates to 8th Edition
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 8th edition of Hawaii The Big Island Revealed. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book. There are no longer any updates for earlier editions on this website.
- Blue Dragon Coastal Cuisine & Musiquarium is temporarily closed for improvements to their wastewater system.
- Ocean Bar & Grill and The Canoe House at Mauna Lani Bay Hotel are closed for renovations until October 2019.
- Namakanipaio Campground (page 181) is closed until further notice.
General Information & Updates:
- Island Air (page 22) has ceased operations in Hawaii.
- Hertz Car Rental (page 23) has changed their phone number to 808-935-2898.
- Island RV (page 24) is no longer renting RVs. (Changed their name to Clark’s Hawaii Tours and only do tours.)
- Scooter Brothers (page 24) has closed. Try Kona Scooter Rental at 808-518-4100.
- Pest Hotline (page 33) now has a statewide phone number: 808-643-7378.
- Baby’s Away (page 34) has changed their phone number to 808-747-9662.
- Hilton Waikoloa (page 34 & 294) no longer has their Club Keiki children’s activity program.
- ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center (35 & 109) has changed their phone number to 808-932-8901.
- Mokupāpapa Discovery Center (page 35 & 110) has changed their phone number to 808-498-4709.
- Waimea Homestead Farmers’ Market (page 42) has moved to 67-1229 Mamalahoa Hwy (Hwy 190), off Lindsey Road behind Waimea School.
- Waimea Midweek Farmers’ Market (page 42) has changed their hours to 9 a.m.—3 p.m.
- Pau Hana Estate (page 68) has closed.
- Pu‘uhonua o Honaunau (page 73 & 170) entrance fee has increased to $15 per car.
- Volcanoes National Park (page 85, 91, 193, 197) entrance fee has increased to $25.
- Nani Mau Gardens (page 111) is only open to tour buses now.
- Kapoho Tidepools (and Champagne Pond), Kapoho community (page 114, 115, 116 & 122) this lovely area fell victim to Madame Pepe’s lava eruption. The entire area was completely wiped out and is currently off-limits.
- Ahalanui Beach Park (page 116 &117) in July 2018 the eruption swerved to the south and bulldozed this park with lava. And so, Ahalanui is no more.
- Kolekole Beach Park (page 125 &127) is closed indefinitely.
- Woodshop Gallery & Café (page 125 & 138) no longer has a café.
- Waikoloa Village Market (page 137) is now a KTA superstore and called KTA Waikoloa Village.
- JJ Country Market (page 138) has new owners and is now called Honoka‘a Country Market.
- Punalu‘u Black Sand Beach (page 151, 175 & 176) no longer has lifeguards.
- Ride The Rim (page 179) is closed.
- Velissimo Cycling (page 180) has closed. Try Big Island Bike Tours at 800-331-0159.
- Kona Beach & Sports (page 181) is closed.
- Kulanaokuaiki (page 182) is no longer a free campsite. Cost is $10 per night, per site.
- Backcountry camping permits (page 182) now cost $10.
- Pua Po‘o lava tube tours (page 183) are now offered on alternating Wednesdays and Saturdays. The tour is now 4 hours long and costs $60. Reservations must be made in advance on their website: https://www.fhvnp.org/institute/wild-caves-exploration/.
- Big Island Country Club (page 187 & 188) is now called Makani Golf Club. It will transition to a private club but no timeline has been announced.
- SeaMoutain at Punalu‘u Golf Course (page 187 & 188) is closed.
- Naniloa Golf Club (page 187 & 189) has been re-rated and is now called Banyans Golf Club or not. It depends on who you call. Sometimes they call it Naniloa Golf Course or Club, sometimes Banyans Golf Course or Club. So… it’s in Hilo in middle of Banyan Drive – can’t miss it!
- Rocking H (page 207, 209, 223 & 225) is now called Big Island Watersports. They no longer rent kayaks or stand up paddle boards.
- Kahalu‘u Bay Surf & Sea (page 209) no longer rents kayaks.
- Kohala Kayak Club (page 210) has closed.
- Fair Wind II (page 211) has changed their phone number to 808-322-2788.
- Sandwich Isle Divers (page 215, 216 & 217) has closed.
- Hawaiian Scuba Shack (page 216) has a new owner. They don’t currently have a boat so are operating as a dive shop only.
- Neptune Charlies (page 216) has changed their name to Kona Diving EcoAdventures.
- Miller’s Snorkel & Surf (page 221) has changed their name to Miller’s Surf & Sport.
- Mauna Lani Spa (page 223) is closed until late 2019 during resort renovations.
- Living Ocean Adventures (page 226) has sold his boat and retired. Aloha Captain Tom!
- KapohoKine Adventures (page 227) has change their phone number to 808-964-1000.
- Aloha Zipline Express (page 228) is no longer in operation.
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have closed:
- Alii Buzz
- Bleu Cupcakery
- Café Pesto Kawaihae (Hilo location remains open)
- Coast Grille
- Fig’s Mix Plate
- Fresh off Da‘Boat
- Hilo Shark’s Coffee Hilo locations (Honomu location remains open)
- Leilani Bakery
- Luquin’s Mexican Restaurant
- Moo Bettah
- New York Pizzeria
- Oasis Café
- Ocean Terrace
- Orchid Court
- Sweet & Savory Things
- Woodshop Gallery Café
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have changed:
- Amici Ristorante Italiano has moved to the Kona Country Club at 78-7000 Alii Dr. and changed their name to Amici Vista Bar & Grill. The phone number is 808-322-9582. The menu has also changed. We have not had a chance to review them in their new location.
- Café Il Mondo has moved a few doors down to 45-3580 Mamane St. They now have a full bar so no more BYOB, and medium and large pizzas no longer have to be taken to go. They also now accept VISA and Mastercard.
- Chill’n on the Bay the address should be 75-5699 Alii Dr. and the phone number is 808-326-7499.
- El Maguey Mexican Restaurante the phone number is 808-329-0636.
- Island Lava Java is located in Coconut Marketplace, not Alii Sunset Plaza.
- Luquin’s Mexican Restaurant burned down after the building next door caught fire. They plan to rebuild.
- Manta & Pavilion Wine Bar is now just called Manta. They no longer have their enomatic wine machine, but they do have a new chef. We will review them again soon.
- Mi’s Italian Bistro has moved to 75-5770 Alii Dr. in Kailua-Kona and changed their name to Mi’s Waterfront Bistro. The phone number has also changed to 808-329-3880. We have not had a chance to review them in their new location.
- Ocean Terrace at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel is closed for renovations and will reopen as Ikena Landing. We will be back to re-review it after it opens.
- Royal Jade Garden the phone number is 808-326-7288.
- Shaka Restaurant the phone number is 808-929-7404.
- Strawberry Patch the phone number is 808-322-9060.
- The Three Fat Pigs has changed their name to The Koa Table and changed their menu. We haven’t had a chance to re-review them yet.
- Waikoloa Village Market is now a KTA Super Store.
- Fairmont Orchid’s Gathering of the Kings Lu‘au has changed. It is now called Hawai‘i Loa Lu‘au. Price has increased to $115.
From the Where To Stay chapter:
- Abbey Vacation Rentals and SunQuest Vacations have combined into Grand Welcome Big Island (a mainland company). The local numbers and websites for them are still valid (you will be redirected automatically) but the toll-free number is 888-780-4809.
- The toll-free phone number for Aston is now: 855-747-0763.
- Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel renovated and rebranded as the Westin Hapuna Beach Resort and we will be reviewing again soon.
- Hawaii Island Inn in Na‘alehu seems to have disappeared and gone out of business. If you find it, please let us know.
- Hilo Naniloa Hotel is now Grand Naniloa Hotel. Their toll-free phone number has changed to (844) 665-8290.
- Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows is closed for renovations until October 2019.
- Pagoda Hilo Bay Hotel lost their lease and the building is scheduled for demolition. Wishing them a fond aloha.
- Shipman House B&B Inn has closed.