Big Island Updates & Changes
Updates to 9th Edition
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 9th edition of Hawaii The Big Island Revealed. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book.
- Volcanoes National Park as the park slowly recovers from the 2018 eruption, some hikes and activities still remain closed. For an updated daily list visit: https://www.nps.gov/havo/closed_areas.htm
- Kalopa State Recreation Area campgrounds are currently closed until further notice. However, the cabins are open and available for use.
General Information & Updates:
- Getting Married (page 25) bigislandwednet.com is gone, try weddingwire.com instead.
- Greeters of Hawai‘i (page 45) no longer does airport lei greetings.
- Volcanoes National Park (page 98) entrance fee is now $30 in 2020.
- Namakanipaio Campground (page 108) phone number should be 808-328-1315.
- Mountain Road Cycles (page 189) is now Bike Works Mauka and rents only mountain bikes and gravel bikes.
- Sea Paradise (page 191) now has a cash bar, so no more BYOB.
- Reel Action (page 197) is closed.
- Charter Desk (page 197) is online only now. However the fishing office at Honokokau Harbor is still open and operating as Kona Charter Desk.
- Waipi‘o Ridge Stables (page 215) has changed their name and moved, so no longer do the tours we describe. We’ll be reviewing their new tours after they’ve had a chance to settle in.
- Big Island Watersports (page 229) the phone number should be 808-240-1993.
- Dolphin Quest (page 242) the phone number should be 808-987-3434.
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have closed:
- Big Island Kettle Corn
- Da Poke Shack (Captain Cook location only)
- Daylight Mind Coffee Company
- Habañeros Grill
- Longboard Legends Pizza
- Los Tres Mex (Parker Ranch location only)
- Patz Pies (say it ain’t so – nooooooooooo!)
- TJ’s BBQ by the Beach
- Tropical Frozen Yogurts
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have changed:
- Café Concerto has change their phone number to 808-825-8940.
- Gypsea Gelato has moved across the street to 79-7491 Mamalohoa Hwy in Kealakekua.
- Mi’s Waterfront Bistro address should be 75-5770 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona.
- Royal Jade Garden is now called The Jade.