O‘ahu Updates & Changes
Updates to 5th Edition
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 5th edition of Oahu Revealed. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book. There are no longer any updates to previous editions on this site.
- Liliha Bakery’s location on Kuakini St. (page 255) is closed for renovations. The Nimitz Hwy location remains open.
- The Oceanarium Aquarium (page 33 & 241) is closed for extensive renovations and will reopen sometime in 2017.
General Information & Updates:
- Enterprise Rent a Car (page 23) now charges $25 per day extra for drivers aged 21-24.
- Akamai Cab Company (page 23) is now Aloha Aina Cab. Their phone number is 808-944-3400.
- Diamond Head Harley (page 24) has changed their phone number to 808-791-0870.
- Hilo Hattie (page 40) has closed its main store on Nimitz Hwy. The Ala Moana location remains open.
- Aloha Beach Services (page 47 & 190) has changed their extension to 42341.
- Makapu‘u Point Lighthouse Trail has reopened, except for the last section near the lighthouse.
- Sacred Falls State Park – aka Kaluanui State Park (page 80) has been closed since 1999. Since the inception of our first edition O‘ahu book, we have never stated that the park was open to visitors. The park remains closed with no plans to reopen it.
- The 4WD road to Ka‘ena Point (page 92 and map on page 88) is currently closed to all vehicles.
- Nanakuli Beach (page 117) has been renamed Kalanianaole Beach Park in honor of the late Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Piikoi.
- Cabins at Malaekahana (page 149) are now called Malaekahana Beach Campground and the phone number is 808-674-7715. Kama‘aina Kids is no longer the concessionaire.
- Hana Hou Air (page 151) has changed their name to Hawaii Glider & Sailplane Academy.
- Kaniakapupu Ruins/Luakaha Falls Hike (page 167) is closed and anyone caught trespassing in the area can be cited.
- Mokulua Island and Flat Island (page 183) cannot be visited by commercial kayak or vessel on Sundays. That day is reserved for privately-owned vessels and kayaks.
- Lyon Arboretum (page 187) phone number should be 808-988-0456.
- Waikiki Beach Sailing (page 188) has changed their name to Holokai Catamaran.
- Waikiki Beach Services (page 190) phone number should be 808-388-1510.
- Ali‘i Kai Dinner Cruise (page 193) is suspended while the boat is undergoing maintenance.
- Deep Ecology (page 195) is closed.
- The Groove Hawai‘i (page 229) is closed.
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have closed:
- Blue Water Shrimp lost their truck location in Hale‘iwa and are looking for a new one.
- Bubbies Ice Cream University Ave. location
- Cha Cha Cha Salsaria
- China Buffet
- Crouching Lion Bar & Grill
- Eastern Food Center
- Fine Ass Brand Chocolate
- Grass Skirt Grill
- I Love Country Café Queen St. location
- Ishimoto Market (in Oahu Market)
- Jameson’s By The Sea
- Keoni by Keo’s
- Kiwami Ramen
- Kua ‘Aina Sandwich Honolulu location. The Hale‘iwa location remains open.
- Phuket Thai
- Pizza Bob’s
- Round Table Pizza Kaiulani Ave. location. The other locations remain open.
- Serg’s Mexican Kitchen Waimanalo location. The Manoa location remains open.
- Singha Thai
- Soul de Cuba
- Surf n Turf Tacos Monsarrat Ave. location. The Waikiki location on Kuhio Ave. remains open.
- Todai Sushi & Seafood
- Waioli Tea Room is closed and looking for new owners.
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have changed:
- Assaggio’s phone number in Hawaii Kai should be 808-396-0756.
- Coquito’s is at 85-773 Farrington Hwy.
- Crêpes No Ka ‘Oi moved down the block to 143 Hekili St.
- Kahuku Grill has changed their name to Seven Brothers at the Mill.
- Lanikai Juice is at 600 Kailua Rd. in Kailua not 572.
- Ma‘ili Sunset Bar & Grill has changed it’s name to Da Crawfish & Crab Shack.
- Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian the phone number is 808-923-7311.
- North Shore Tacos the address is 54-296 Kamehameha Hwy.
- Opal Thai’s phone number should be 808-381-8091.
- Pint & Jigger’s phone number is 808-744-9593.
- Royal Hawaiian’s ‘Aha‘aina Lu‘au has completely changed their menu and we haven’t had a chance to re-review them yet.
- Seven Brothers is at 55-510 Kamehameha Hwy.
- Sweet E’s has moved a few doors down to 1006 Kapahulu Ave. at the corner of Kaimuki Ave.
- Tacos & More is at 85-993 Farrington Hwy.
- Te Moana Nui dinner show has moved to the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani at 120 Kaiulani Ave. The phone number is 808-921-4600.
- Ted’s Bakery phone number is 808-638-8207.
- Uncle Woody’s has changed their phone number to 808-354-0525.
- Waialua Bakery is at 66-200 Kamehameha Hwy.
From the Where To Stay chapter:
- Aqua Waikiki Wave underwent extensive renovations and is now called The Laylow Autograph Collection. We will be reviewing it again soon.
- Hokele Suites underwent renovations and is now called Surfjack Hotel & Swim Club. We will be reviewing it again soon.
- Maile Sky Court is now Holiday Inn Express Honolulu-Waikiki. We will be reviewing it again soon.
- Ohana Waikiki West has reopened as Hilton Garden Inn Waikiki Beach after extensive renovations. We will be reviewing it again soon.
- Waikiki Beachside Hotel is closed for renovations.
- Waikiki Prince Hotel is now called Waikiki Central Hotel and is closed for renovations.