Maui Updates & Changes
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 7th edition of Maui Revealed. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book.
- The Whaling Museum in Whalers Village Shopping Center (page 50 & 288) is closed for renovations
- ‘Iao Valley, ‘Iao Needle and Kepaniwai Heritage Gardens (pages 65 & 67) are closed indefinitely due to extensive flood damage.
- Wai‘anapanapa State Park (pages 72, 176 & 197) The major walkway along the coastline of Wai‘anapanapa State Park will be replaced beginning on September 6, 2016 over the following 6 months to avoid a complete closure of the walkway. However construction will disrupt access along portions of the path over several months. The current walkway provides access to the scenic lookouts along the coastline and to Pailoa Bay, the popular black sand beach. Pailoa Beach will be closed for approximately 3 weeks for the construction of a new concrete pathway with steps. The campgrounds, picnic tables, and restrooms will remain accessible but may require alternate routes during construction. Roadways and parking areas may be temporarily impacted.
- Seven Scared Pools—‘Ohe‘o Gulch (page 100,104 &105) had a rockslide on Jan. 3, 2017 that forced the closure of the Pools of ʻOheʻo in Haleakala National Park, until further notice.
- Maui Lavender & Botanicals (page 126) is closed for renovations. They are hoping to open again in February 2017.
- Waihe‘e Ridge Trail (page 192) that climbs the windward slope of the west Maui mountains will be closed for approximately two months, starting in January 2017, for trail improvements.
General Information & Updates
- (Ok, this isn’t really an update but we thought we’d put it in here to help avoid confusion). We’ve gotten a few e-mails asking us why the time-saving road linking Wailea with Kula upcountry isn’t on our maps (though it is on other maps). At the risk of sounding self-serving, the other maps are slightly… not right…Ok they’re wrong! As mentioned on page 136, that road is private, gated and not accessible. We won’t print it if we haven’t driven it. Same for the Oprah Highway…
- Hula Hogs (page 23) has closed.
- Romantic Maui Weddings (page 26) has changed their local phone number to 808-280-1214
- Weather forecasts (pages 26, 76, 119, 147 & 226) call the local number at 808-944-3756.
- Baby’s Away (page 35) phone number changed to 808-631-8618.
- Lahaina Animal Farm (page 35) has changed their name to Maui Animal Farm and have moved to 230C Haniu St.
- Makawao Farmers’ Market (page 41) has moved to 17 Omaopio Rd. in Kula. The name has changed to The Wednesday Market and the hours are now 8am-1pm.
- Lahaina Printsellers (page 64) has moved to 764 Front Street.
- Love the Beach (page 71) has closed.
- Maui Swap Meet (page 71) is now open until 1pm.
- Maui Cave Adventures (page 90) is now called Hana Lave Tube.
- Waiʻanapanapa State Park – Caves (page 92) are closed and fenced due to possible falling rock hazards. No scheduled plans to reopen at present time.
- Hana Ranch Restaurant (page 98) has changed their phone number to 808-270-5280.
- Barefoot Café (page 98) has changed their phone number to 808-446-5519.
- Travaasa Hana Ka‘uiki (page 99) has closed.
- Haleakala National Park (page 104,118 & 176) entrance fee is now $20 per car and must be paid by credit card at either the summit or Kipahulu entrance.
- Polipoli Spring State Recreation Area (pages 118 &194) a 4WD vehicle is mandatory to drive the last 4 miles of the unpaved road. Also affects the Mountain Bike Haleakala’s Spine Adventure (page 238).
- Haleakala National Park Sunrises (page 119) are no longer free and must be reserved in advance. Haleakala National Park now requires an online reservation—in advance—before they will let you into the park to watch the sun rise. And they charge an extra $1.50 (in addition to the entrance fee) for this “service.” If you don’t have a reservation from www.recreation.gov they will turn you around until the sun comes up. (Sunsets are still free, but please don’t call this to their attention or they might start charging for them, too.)
- Island Country Market (page 137) is now called Island Gourmet Markets.
- Lighthaus Camera (page 137) has closed.
- Sisters & Co. Boutique (page 137) has closed.
- The Market by Capische? (page 137) is now called The Market Maui.
- Island Air (page 140) has discontinued service to Lana‘i.
- Hawai‘i Ocean Project (page 143) no longer provides ferry service from Lahaina to Moloka‘i.
- Mokulele Airlines (page 143 & 241) no longer flies to Kalaupapa. However, Makani Kai Air (808-834-1111) has flights to Kauapapa from Moloka‘i Airport.
- Mountain Riders (page 172) has a new phone number 800-706-7700.
- Bike Park Maui (page 174) has closed.
- West Maui Cycles (page 175) no longer rents full-suspension mountain bikes.
- Camp Olawalu (page 177) now has hot showers and has raised camping fees to $20 per night.
- Pedego (page 175) has changed their name to RideSmart Maui and moved to AAAAA Rent-A-Space Mall at 3600 Lwr. Honoapiilani Rd. in Honokowai. Call 808-633-8553 for an appointment.
- Makoa Kai (page 178) has moved to Lahaina Harbor.
- Piper Sportfishing (page 178) has changed their phone number to 808-283-2628.
- Volcano Air Tours (page 186 & 187) has closed.
- Pony Express (page 201) has ridden off into the sunset. We bid them a fond aloha.
- Hawaiian Island Surf & Sport (page 206, 225, 229 & 232) has closed.
- Paragon Sailing (page 210 & 211) has a new owner and new name, but offer the same tours. They are now called Sail Maui.
- Frogman II (page 210 & 215) has changed it’s name to Malolo.
- Cinderella Sailing Charters has changed their phone number to 808-359-0043.
- Prodiver Maui (page 218 & 223) no longer does scooter dives at the Fairmont Kea Lani.
- Island Scuba (page 223) also no longer does scooter dives at the Wailea Marriott.
- Kapalua Ziplines (page 233) is discontinuing their 4-line tour on April 1, 2017.
- Damien Tours (page 241) changed their phone number to 808-567-6071.
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have closed:
- Baan Thai Maui
- Chez Meme
- Hana Hou Café
- Hard Rock Café
- Kupanaha Dinner Show
- Lulu’s Lahaina Surf Club & Grill
- Mala Wailea location
- No Ka Oi Deli
- Rita’s Beach Bar & Grill
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have changed:
- Cheeseburger Island Style has changed its name to Cheeseburger Grille & Tap Room.
- Fleetwood’s on Front Street no longer serves lunch. Hours are now 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Pineapple Grill had management and menu changes and we have to re-review them.
- Shark Pit has moved from their food truck into a building. They are now called Shark Pit Social Grill, and are located next to Jamba Juice in Old Lahaina Center at 170 Papalaua St. The phone number is 808-298-7776.
- Smokehouse BBQ & Grill also no longer serves lunch. Hours are now 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Travaasa Hana Ka‘uiki changed to The Preserve Kitchen & Bar new menu, etc.
From the Where to Stay chapter, the following resorts have changed or closed:
- Makena Beach & Golf Resort is closed.
- Maui Sunseeker was bought and is now an adults-only resort called the Kohea Kai Resort Maui. See other changes on our review page.