Kaua‘i Updates & Changes
Updates to 10th Edition
It happens every time. The day after we send the disks off to the printers for our brand new edition, somebody changes something that directly affects what we write. Several times we’ve e-mailed these changes to the printers. (It’s our only chance to yell that classic publisher line, Stop the presses!) But after the presses roll we’re left shaking our heads, saying, “Yeah, we know that changed. We’ll correct that in our next printing.” The internet is the next best thing to yanking back all the books in print and scribbling in the changes that always occur.
At Wizard Publications we continually strive to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information on the islands. We are the only publisher who updates our books every time we reprint them. So if you see the updates below already listed in the book you just bought, you may have a recent printing.
The updates below are for the 10th edition of The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. Note: all pages numbers refer to the printed edition of the book. There are no longer any updates to previous editions on this site.
- Our Hawaii Revealed App: We are getting a lot of feedback from customers about problems with the map in the new Hawai’i Revealed mobile app. We are working diligently to resolve these problems and will be updating our website and announcement page on our progress. We apologize for the issues our customers are facing and appreciate any feedback and details sent in about the problem. You may send us your feedback to email@example.com. Thank you for your patience as we work to make the app experience a positive one.
- The DLNR has closed Loop/Wailua Management Road is reopened, but rains may make some areas unstable. This may hinder emergency vehicles if you get into trouble out there. This effects the Jungle Hike (page 62, 68, 125 &156) and Wai‘ale‘ale Hike (page 158 & 202). On-going work is expected on the road.
- The road to Maha‘ulepu (page 14, 23, 81, 114, 125, 159) is closed for rebuilding until about February 16.
- Sam’s Ocean View is closed temporarily due to a kitchen fire.
- Shave Ice Tege Tege is closed for the winter. They will reopen in the spring.
General Information & Updates:
- Island Air (page 21) has ceased operations in Hawaii.
- Fox Rent A Car (page 21) has closed.
- Kaua‘i Self Storage (page 44) has closed.
- Kela’s Glass Gallery (page 73) has moved a block up the street to 4-1400 Kuhio Hwy, near Kapaa Beach Park.
- Ha‘ula Beach (page 73, 114, 115) The landowner apparently is no longer granting casual access to beachgoers or shoreline fishermen on the edge of the cliff on the way to the beach. You will have to reach out to Grove Farm to get permission if you wish to visit this beach, since there is no shoreline below the cliffs.
- Na Pali Sportfishing (page 129) has closed.
- Nualolo Cliff Trail (page 146) has reopened.
- Aloha Kaua‘i Tours (page 165) has discontinued their land tours. They may resume their Rain Forest Tour at a later date.
- Na Pali Coast Hanalei (page 169) takes up to 18 people on their power catamaran not 14.
- Garden Isle Divers (page 176, 177 & 179) has new owners and a new phone number: 808-631-7447. We have not had a chance to review them yet.
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have closed:
- Bubba’s Burgers Hanalei location
- Grindz Café
- Heavenly Creations
- House of Noodles
- Jo-Jo’s Anuenue
- Kaua‘i Nut Roasters Hanalei and Kilauea locations
- Mediterranean Gourmet
- Mema Thai
- Wahooo Seafood Grill & Bar
From the Island Dining chapter, the following restaurants have changed:
- Greenery Café has changed their phone number to 808-246-4567.
- Kilauea Fish Market Kapa‘a location has changed their name to Sleeping Giant Grill.
- Kaua‘i Nut Roasters Koloa location no longer has a phone number.
- Olympic Café Po‘ipu location hours have changed to Thursday-Monday 6 a.m to 2 p.m.
- Papaya’s Natural Foods & Café has moved up the street to Waipouli Plaza at 4-901 Kuhio Hwy.
- Scorpaciatta has changed their phone number to 808-634-3061.
- Shave Ice Tege Tege has moved to the south side of Otsuka’s in the food truck court at 4-1620 Kuhio Hwy.
- Village Snack & Bakery Shop now accepts credit cards.
From the Where to Stay chapter:
- Kaua‘i Shores toll-free phone humber changed to (800) 222-5642.
- Makahuena has changed it’s local number to 808-742-7700 (which goes to Po‘ipu Shores office). After hours call 808-742-2200 (which goes to Kiahuna Plantation).